Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Royal Wedding, I Didn't Want to Care


I think I am one of the few people who managed to dodge all the Royal Wedding hoopla during the crazy lead time to the wedding. I did not watch the specials or the background or any of the other coverage plaguing my TV, internet, and radio connections. Then the last week hit and I found myself drawn like a magnet to the idea of this wedding. Still in denial I avoided all information and kept plugging away. I was not going to get caught up in celebrity insanity.

Suddenly, the day before the wedding I found myself endlessly fascinated. I chalked it up to having just been married so recently and being curious about a wedding on such a grand scale. I slowly started seeking out all the information others had found weeks before. What is Prince William's last name? Mountbatten-Windsor. Where will the couple live? Anglesey. What will she wear? Who is invited to the more intimate celebrations? Did they get to invite who they wanted? What will they eat? What does Harry think? How is Fergie holding up? Suddenly the flood of questions and curiosity was unstoppable. The levees had broken and I had wedding fever. Of course I blamed some memories of when I was six and Princess Di's wedding and then the funeral and how awful it must be for those boys.

I found myself crawling out of bed at 2:30 in the morning, cup of coffee in hand and my computer (because one source of information just isn't enough) to watch the parade of ridiculous hats in real time. And truthfully it was worth every second. It was worth it because they looked happy. Not stiff and horrid, not puffy and ridiculous but happy. I heard a few announcers call them "smug," particularly William, but what I saw was a beautiful couple who were doing their best to enjoy their moment despite the bazillions of people watching. Those reporters can suck it. If they hadn't been "smug" they would have found some other ridiculous thing to say such as "William looked like he was miserable, or Kate was dreadfully thin." If the worst you got is smug, then you should probably just stick with the positive. Or you could be like Katie Couric and never know when to show up. Does she not know she's on TV? The moving, magical picture box? She was narrating as if she was speaking on the radio. WTF? We have a ludicrous local news station called KTLA where they have too much fun and are very rarely professional. Even they knew to shut up during the wedding.

What else did I see? True respect and awe that so many people cared about their big commitment and day. That while in some ways it is a massive intrusion you cannot help but love the outpouring of adoration about your happiest day. I loved the cute little moments where they spoke to each other in whispers. Kate's shock that there were so many people, William telling her she looked beautiful, Kate asking if he was happy and William cutely suggesting a second kiss. I think it is the perfect day everyone wanted for them and I am glad I watched it. Instead of finding myself jealous of the crazy carriage and dual dresses it only brought back warm memories of my own day.

I do still feel sorry for Fergie's girls. They kind of did it to themselves but the comparisons to Cinderella's ugly step sisters kind of fit with those hats. couldn't they ask their grandmother for advice? Easter egg or not her hat was at least normal.

***For those keeping track of my procrastination...I was actually really early last week and I swear I just forgot to hit "publish" before I went to bed...I swear!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment